2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 cups veggie broth
2 1/2 cups fresh broccoli, trimmed
2 large or 4 small red skin potatoes, cubed
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 cup milk (I use plain soymilk)
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional) (I like cabot sharp white cheddar)
salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft and clear. Add Broth and bring to a boil. Add broccoli, potato and herbs. Cook on medium-high heat for 15 minutes, or until broccoli and potatoes are tender.
- In a separate bowl, slowly add milk to flour, and mix until well blended.
- Stir flour mixture into broth mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until soup is thick and bubbly.
- Add cheese if desired; stir until melted, serve.