1/3 cup margarine, butter or chicken fat
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup chopped onion
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 ¾ cups chicken or turkey broth
2/3 cup milk
2 cups cut up cooked chicken or turkey
1 package (10oz.) frozen peas and carrots
Celery Seed Pastry:
2/3 cup +2 tbsp shortening
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons celery seed
1 tsp salt
4 to 5 tbsp water
1. Heat margarine over low heat until melted. Blend in flour, onion, salt and pepper.
2. Cook over low heat stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk.
3. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir one minute. Stir in chicken and frozen vegetables; reserve
4. Prepare Celery Seed Pastry: Cut shortening into flour, celery seed and salt until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle in water one tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans sides of bowl.
5. Gather pastry into ball. Roll 2/3 of pastry in 13 inch square on lightly floured surface.
6. Pour chicken mixture into 13”x9” pan. Place dough over filling, roll edges under; flute. Cut slits in center to allow steam to escape. Cook uncovered in 425* oven until crust is brown, 30-35 minutes. 6 servings
*Alternate Crusts: Roll out a can of biscuits or crescent rolls on top of the pie or use a pre-made pie crust.