Butter, for greasing the baking dish
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick slices
2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
2 zucchini, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
Olive oil, for drizzling
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce, divided
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 cup grated Parmesan, divided
1 cup plain bread crumbs
- Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill.
- Drizzle the eggplant, fennel and zucchini slices with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables until softened, 3 to 4 minutes each side. (The vegetables can also be baked in a 375 degrees F oven for 15 to 20 minutes until soft).
- Spoon 3/4 cup of the marinara sauce over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange the eggplant slices on top. Sprinkle with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Arrange the fennel slices in a single layer on top. Spoon 3/4 cup of marinara sauce over the peppers. Sprinkle with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup Parmesan.
- Arrange the zucchini on top and cover with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Scatter the bread crumbs over the cheese and drizzle liberally with oil.
- Bake until the top is golden and forms a crust, 30 to 35 minutes.