1/3 cup margarine, or butter
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 cup broccoli, chopped and trimmed
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
2 cups vegetable broth
2/3 cup milk
1 package firm tofu, cubed (optional)
1 package (10oz.) frozen mixed vegetables
Celery Seed Pastry:
2/3 cup +2 tbsp shortening
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons celery seed
1 tsp salt
4 to 5 tbsp water
- Heat margarine over low heat until melted. Blend in flour, onion, broccoli, salt and pepper.
- Cook over low heat stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir one minute. Stir in tofu and frozen vegetables; turn off heat.
- Prepare Celery Seed Pastry: Cut shortening into flour, celery seed and salt until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle in water one tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans sides of bowl.
- Gather pastry into ball. Roll 2/3 of pastry in 13 inch square on lightly floured surface.
- Pour veggie mixture into 13”x9” pan. Place dough over filling, roll edges under; Cut slits in center to allow steam to escape. Cook uncovered in 400* oven until crust is brown, 30-35 minutes. 6 servings
*Alternate Crusts: Roll out a can of biscuits or crescent rolls on top of the pie or use a pre-made pie crust.