2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 egg yolks
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat over to 300°F.
- In large mixing bowl combine sugar, butter, and shortening and beat with electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and egg yolks one-at-a-time and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Mix well.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture in increments, beating continuously.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on an un-greased baking sheet. Bake about 15 minutes or until cookies rise but edges are not yet brown. If desired, ice with lemon glaze immediately after removing from oven. Let cool.