2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 large eggs
4 cups carrot pulp from a juicer (or 4 cups finely shredded carrots)
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, finely grated
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
16oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour the bottom and sides of two 9-inch-diameter cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and oil until combined. Beat the eggs in one at a time.
- Fold the flour mixture into the oil mixture, mix well. Stir in carrot pulp, ginger, and apple sauce until combined.
- Divide the batter between prepared pans and bake for 40 minutes, or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, prepare the icing. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until combined. Whip in heavy cream until soft and fluffy. Beat in the maple syrup and lemon juice, then stir in powdered sugar slowly. Blend well (it should be a bit runny). Cover and refrigerate.
- Let cakes cool slightly, then turn out onto a wire rack. Ice and stack the cakes. Chill for 1-2 hours before serving so frosting has time to set.