1/2 cup (8oz) unsalted butter
8oz dark chocolate, chopped
2 Tbsp instant coffee powder
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup flour (5oz)
1/2 cup cocoa powder (5oz)
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 cups sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
5oz unsalted butter, chopped
5oz dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 315*F. Lightly grease a deep 9 inch round cake pan and line with parchment paper, making sure the paper extends 2 inchs above the top edge.
- Combine butter, chocolate and coffee in a saucepan with 3/4 cup hot water and stir over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Sift the flours, cocoa and baking soda into a large bowl, stir in sugar and make a well in the center. Add the eggs, oil, and buttermilk to the well, and use a large spoon to slowly stir liquids into the dry ingredients.
- Gradually add in the melted chocolate mixture. Stir well.
- Pour the mixture into pan. Bake for 1 hour 45 minutes (2 hours for 8″ pan) or until knife inserted in center comes out slightly wet. Remove from oven. If top looks raw bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Leave cake in pan until completely cool. Then turn out and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Icing: combine butter and chocolate in a sauce pan and stir over low heat until both are melted. Remove and cool slightly. Pour icing over the cake and allow it to run down the side.
- Cake may be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to three weeks or in a cool dry place for up to a week. Freeze for up to two months.