2 Pie Crusts, thawed
2 large red bell peppers
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced finely
3 handfuls fresh spinach, rinsed well and dried
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups heavy cream or half and half
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
dash of cayenne pepper
- Prepare pie crusts or thaw frozen pie crusts. Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
- Roast the red peppers: Coat your peppers with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, flipping the pepper every 5 minutes, so that each side blisters. Remove from oven, let cool. Discard seeds and stem, and dice the pepper. Lower oven temp to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add diced onion and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat and add in spinach. Sauté just until wilted.
- In a large bowl mix together spinach, onions, and red pepper. Divide mixture evenly between pie crusts. Top with shredded cheddar and blend the mixture a little with your fingers.
- Whisk together heavy cream, eggs, and spices until smooth. Pour this mixture into the pie crusts and level out the filling best you can.
- Place pies in oven and place a cookie sheet or foil underneath to catch any drippings. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until light golden brown. Remove pies from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 2 Quiches.