2 Tbsp oil
1/2 onion, diced
1.5 tsp garlic, minced
1 8oz package tempeh
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
3 Tbsp Honey*
3 Tbsp Water
1 tsp sriracha, or other chili sauce
dasd chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 head of romane hearts
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Rinse lettuce and break up into individual “shells.”
- Add onion to skillet, sauté 1 minute then add minced garlic and sauté another minute.
- Crumble in tempeh, stir well, lower heat to medium and stir occasionally
- In a small jar, combine soy sauce, honey, water and chili sauce. Close jar and shake well.
- Pour sauce mixture into skillet and stir well. Season with chili powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to sauté the tempeh until the sauce thickens and becomes sort of sticky. Turn off heat, spoon tempeh into lettuce shells and serve immediately. Serves 3-4
*To make vegan substitute agave nectar for honey.