3 cups flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
6 Tbsp butter
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup molasses
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients, mix well.
- In a medium bowl beat butter, sugar and egg on medium speed until well blended.
- Add in molasses, vanilla, and lemon zest and mix well
- Slowly stir in dry ingredients.
- Halve dough, wrap in plastic wrap and let sit at room temp for 2-8 hours (can be refrigerated up to 4 days)
- Roll dough out to 1/4″ thick, cut with cookie cutters and bake 7-10 minutes. Let cool and decorate with icing and candies.