1/2 cup margarine (or butter)
1/2 of a 14oz package Light Life Gimme Lean Meatless Veggie Sausage
1 cup onions, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup green apple, chopped
16-24oz dried bread cubes (I like a mix of bread types)
16oz vegetable broth
2 large eggs, beaten (optional)
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp Italian seasoning (or 50/50 basil/oregano)
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt margarine. Add and cook “sausage”, onions, celery, and apples until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Place bread cubes in a large bowl. Pour skillet mixture over breadcrumbs and toss until well combined.
- Stir in veggie broth, a little at a time until the stuffing is lightly moist, but not packed together. Stir in eggs, if desired (for non-vegans who like a firmer stuffing)
- Combine seasonings in a small cup and stir. Sprinkle seasoning over stuffing and stir well to combine.
- Grease a 13×9 baking dish, spread stuffing mixture evenly in dish*. For a softer stuffing cover with aluminum foil. For a crispy brown crust dot the top with margarine and bake uncovered. Bake 30-40 minutes. Serve plain or with a side of pepper gravy. Makes 10-12 servings.
*Note – Stuffing baked in a dish can be assembled ahead of time and go directly from the fridge to the oven.