2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 celery ribs, diced
2 large carrots, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced (or 4 tsp)
4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
4 (15oz) cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
4 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice (or sherry vinegar)
salt and pepper to taste
1 avocado, diced
- Heat the olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and carrots and a light sprinkle of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are
soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, cumin and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add beans and broth and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer for about 30 minutes, until the broth is flavorful and the beans are very tender.
- Use a stick blender or regular blender to puree about 4 cups of the soup until smooth.
- Return the pureed soup to the pot, stir in the cilantro, lime juice and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with with avocado, extra cilantro, sour cream, and tortilla chips.