6-8 gold potatoes, rinsed, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
8 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (+ extra to garnish)
salt and pepper
soy bacon bits (optional)
- Add potatoes, onion, garlic, thyme and broth to slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Turn off heat, stir in cream and cheese.
- Use an immersion blender to puree about 90% of the soup, making it mostly creamy with a few lumps. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve, top with extra cheddar, extra thyme, and soy bacon bits if desired. This soup is perfect for a cold winter day!